Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland

Students from EU/EEA countries and Switzerland are exempt from student visa requirements. To enter the Czech Republic, EU students only need a valid passport or national ID card. EU students have, however, a reporting duty after their arrival if the intended stay in the Czech Republic is longer than 30 days. A student is required to report his/her presence to the Foreign Police Department in the location of his/her stay in the Czech Republic. This obligation does not apply if the person providing accommodation submits the registration forms on behalf of the student, i.e. in case of stays in student dormitories.

Students from non-EU countries

Students from countries outside of the EU have to turn to the local Czech embassy or consulate and apply for a student visa. Please note, that the whole procedure requires some paperwork and can take up to 60 days.   Further information: Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic   There are short-term visas (for stays up to 90 days) and long-term visas (for stays over 90 days). Students arriving for a period longer than one year should apply for a long-term residence permit for study purposes.   The following documents are mainly required for applying for student visa or a residence permit:

  • application form
  • letter of acceptance for studies
  • valid passport and passport photos
  • proof of financial resources for the stay (e.g. in the form of a bank account statement or confirmation of being beneficiary of a grant)
  • confirmation of guaranteed accommodation
  • valid international health insurance
  • abstract from the Register of Criminal Records

Please note that some documents (e.g. the abstract from the Register of Criminal Records) must be translated into Czech language by a translator with an official rubber stamp. The Foreign Police examines the visa applications and notifies the Czech embassy or consulate to issue the visa. Please note that the documents mentioned above are the ones that are used most of the time, however, for the detailed information and requirements for your country, please contact Embassy or Consulate of the Czech Republic in your country.


Information is from the Act on the Residence of Foreign Nationals with effect as of July 31st, 2019 – Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic   Ministry of the Interior´s information hotline

Registering with the Czech Foreign Police

Registration at the Foreign Police Department is compulsory for all foreign nationals staying in the Czech Republic for more than 30 days. Students from non-EU countries have to register at the Czech Foreign Police within 3 days upon arrival to the Czech Republic. Students from EU countries have to register within 30 days upon arrival to the Czech Republic. Read more about this obligation here.

Visiting other countries

Both long-term visa and residence permits allow visits to other countries in the Schengen area. The stay to the other Schengen Area states cannot exceed 90 days within any 180 days and is of a non-profit nature.

Customs Regulation

After the Czech Republic joined the EU, customs checks at state borders have been cancelled and remained only at the outer borders of the EU. You can be checked at international airports only. Exemption of goods brought into the EU from customs duty, VAT and consumer tax relates to goods imported occasionally for personal use. Information about amounts which you can bring into the Czech Republic and which goods are exempt from customs duty, VAT and consumer tax can be found here.

Studuj atraktivní obory s širokými možnostmi uplatnění na špičkové škole v centru Prahy.
Ke každému studentovi přistupujeme jednotlivě a poskytujeme mu plnou podporu při studiu.

Klíčový je pro nás rozvoj praktických dovedností a uplatnění absolventů. Proto maximálně podporujeme praxi, pracovní stáže a zahraniční pobyty.